Saturday, December 10, 2011

Advent Days 8, 9, 10

I couldn't wait to get home on Thursday after school because we were finally putting up the tree.  I'd been anticipating it all week long as had Myrick, but things did not go according to how they should have in my head.  As I was rearranging and cleaning the living room, the kids fought and screamed their heads off over the sound of the vaccuum and the Christmas music in the background - truly a joyful noise!  They were in rare form so we ended up putting them upstairs to play by themselves, which they happily did, while Nate and I had some wine as we hauled it inside and strung it with lights.  I only wish we'd grabbed the video camera as the kids came downstairs because Pender's reaction was priceless.  He did his little jig and babbled in his sweet little voice, clearly delighted by the lit tree in his living room.  Tonight will be the hanging of the ornaments.  Perhaps it will be a little more peaceful tonight...

Friday brought a rare treat our way - a date night out in the big city with friends and without kids!  Wow!  The kids were with Tom and Sally while Nate and I enjoyed a lovely dinner at a real restaurant with great company and a sweet downtown strung with holiday lights.  Can't remember the last time we did something social with other adults and no kids.  And while it was a great time, the best was coming home and looking at my kids sleeping snuggly in their beds.  Myrick and Pender woke us up as the often do on the weekends, with them playing and squealing together over the baby monitor in their room.  I can't describe what a beautiful wake-up call that is.  They were having such fun together that Myrick came in and asked if we could get up and get Pender out of his crib so that they could play together.  I know it won't always be this way, but I sure do cherish this phase in our lives and am so grateful that they enjoy one another's company.

This morning held a trip to the church kitchen for holiday baking with other moms and kids.  We baked and frosted dozens upon dozens of animal-themed cookies to sell tomorrow after church for our heiffer project fundraiser.  What a great time playing with kids in flour, dough, and icing!  You can hardly imagine the mess that remained when they were finished, but it was worth it.  I guess I'll have to do some more of this with Myrick in the coming days.  She really enjoyed it!

Myrick and Pender play with their Little People nativity scene