Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Potty Training... Part I

Well, here we are. I'm not quite sure how we got here so quickly, but in the blink of an eye we are approaching "that time." I am referring to potty time, of course. My vocabulary has changed from bathroom and toilet, to potty instead. My friends at school who have children slightly older than Myrick informed me that Myrick sounded ready to start some potty training. Oh my! Guess I'd better read that chapter of my book.

Over Christmas when mom and dad were here we went out and bought a tiny little toilet that is now stationed in our bathroom. Myrick has progressed from sitting on it as a stool with the lid closed, to sitting on it with the lid up but fully clothed, to recently sitting on it entirely naked! Baby steps, folks, baby steps! She will sit on it while she does other stuff... like play with a toy or hold a book, but so far she has yet to put it to use. We talk about it, and name it, and she calls it "tee-tee" and "poo-poo," and she especially likes getting up to grab a piece of toilet paper when she is finished sitting. She imitates how to use it and then crumples it up and tosses it into our big potty. It's so entertaining to watch her! Perhaps next time I write about this she will have made some progress towards putting something in it besides her toys.