Friday, February 6, 2009

Precious Weekends

After putting in another 55 hour work-week grading papers and planning, it sometimes doesn't feel like there is enough coffee on this planet to fuel my life. It is hard to feel excited or motivated about going out and doing things over the weekend, and sadly, this is a pretty typical feeling - pure gratefulness that we've made it to another weekend when we can get a little R&R. Thankfully, though, we've had some snow days this year, and although I know we'll have to make them up in June (and that come June, I'll be grumpy about this very thing), I'm happy to take them whenever the snow deity sees fit to shower us with more fluffy flakes. It makes getting through these long school weeks feel more manageable when there is a recuperation day in the middle of the week. Gotta love those 4 day weeks.

Given that I never have enough time for myself, I find that I'm prone to daydreaming about my ideal Saturday. And I think it would go something like this:
  • sleep in
  • play with Myrick all morning outside (because it is warm enough!)
  • cook something yummy and healthy for lunch - comfort food AND dessert
  • put Myrick down for a nap and take one, too
  • afternoon alone time (wish-list: massage, read for an hour, write some letters/emails/blog entries, hike or snowshoe with Nate)
  • late-afternoon, early evening time with my Myrick
  • date-night with Nate (owling, going out to the movies - gasp!, enjoying dinner at Zampa)

Ah, doesn't that sound so lovely? And you might've noticed that nowhere in that list was grading papers or returning school emails.

But enough daydreaming. Despite the copious amount of essay-grading that is staring me down from the corner of the room, this weekend is shaping up nicely: winter farmer's market shopping in the morning, bookstore errands, naptime and grading in the afternoon, and some cooking and netflixing in the evening. I love knowing that I have an entire weekend stretched out before me with the plan of mostly staying home with short outings here and there. Sounds great!