Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Gratitude for a Treasure

Finding a daycare provider for Myrick five years ago was one of the most emotionally trying things I think I've had to do in my life.  I carried so much guilt in having to leave my child with another person to raise during the daytime - I truly felt like I was letting her down right out of the gate for not being there for her 100% of the time.  Five years and two kids later, I still wrestle with those feelings.  And at the beginning of every school year, I cry when I drop them off at Ms. Terri's house because I know the loss of time that is headed our way.  It breaks my heart again year after year.

But the one thing that has made it easier is Ms. Terri.  We are so blessed to have her in our family's life.  She is everything a care giver for young children should be.  She is enthusiastic and playful, firm when needed, patient, consistent, adventurous (like the night she hosted a sleepover in her camper for Myrick, Chloe, and Forrest!!) and above all, loving.  She has gently parented me, too; she'll let me know that Pender has been working on a skill that I haven't even bothered to try tackling at home and that now he can do it himself.  Good thing she's here to keep me on track and remind me that although I may want my kids to stay my babies, they're growing up and can do more for themselves than I sometimes let them.  I can't imagine that I'll ever be entirely rid of the guilt I feel, but leaving my kids with Terri is reassuring and calming, for all of us.

Today was officially Myrick's last day with Terri.  For the first time a few days ago she said she wasn't excited about Kindergarten.  Up until then she'd been all excitement and silliness over starting school this week.  When I asked her about it, she had some small tears and said she was sad that she wouldn't be going to Terri's anymore and that she would miss her.  My heart broke for her.  What a big concept for Myrick to understand and feel.  Aside from Nate and me, Terri has spent more time with Myrick than any other adult in her life.  She is lucky to have been cared for by Terri for the last five years.

Yesterday and today Terri spent time with Myrick teaching her some sewing basics (she is a talented seamstress and quilter), not the first time she's done so.  Myrick already has a beautiful pillow that she helped Terri piece and sew, and for the past two days she made an adorable "flirty skirt" with her.  Myrick will wear it to her first day of Kindergarten on Thursday, and we'll take another step forward as a growing family.