Thursday, August 30, 2012

She Did It!

Maybe I'll just hit the highlights since I'm running on empty after a rather emotional day.  Myrick was up early, and seemed ready for the day.  She was clearly both excited and nervous.  Pastor Carol drove by and saw Nate, Myrick and me waiting at the bus stop and pulled over to snap a family photo of us and say a prayer for a good start to her schooling.  She was her silly, chatty self until the bus pulled into view.  Her little smile faded and she walked back up Rachelle's driveway several feet.  So I choked back my mommy tears, took her sweet hand, and walked her onto the bus.  She was quiet as I introduced her to the bus driver, but she sat down and started chatting right away with someone nearby; I don't even think she looked out the window as the bus pulled away.  The other adult on the bus that was checking off students as they got on gave me a thumbs-up sign through the window since by an act of God I managed not to cry in front of Myrick.  And though the temptation was strong, I didn't follow the bus in my car (and maybe only because Nate was at the helm).  I guess I'm glad I had to go to work so that my mind had something else to do all day; otherwise I'm sure I would've either cried most of the day or been one of the deranged parents peeking through the kindergarten windows!  I held it together in my classes just fine.  It was during planning period and lunch that those tears came back for a repeat performance.





I was able to leave school in plenty of time at the end of the day to get home to get her off the bus.  She came bounding off with her our two neighbor girls, and ran right to me.  We walked home through the blueberry bush paths, and at one point she asked me, "Mommy, why are you holding my hand so tight?"  Relief and joy that my baby made it home safely and looked happy about it all!!!!  We sat on the porch and had juice and cookies for a bit before going to pick up Pender.  She was exhausted, just sitting there quietly eating and drinking and not saying much.  When I'd ask a question about her day, I didn't get many details or much of a response - just a zoned out, tired, little kindergartner.  Tonight she fell right in bed without a fight, and so will I, shortly.  I am so proud to call Myrick my daughter.