Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Cold before the Cold

We had our first frost last night; it was a bit spotty, but there was enough to warrant pulling the rest of the peppers out of the garden today. I've had it with the tomatoes so I'm not even bothering to grab those. N.B.: Do not ever plant 10 cherry tomato plants in one season for a family of 3 tomato eaters, no matter how much you like them. Oh my, the lessons the land is teaching me! Despite the obscene number of tomatoes, we did well with our cukes, peppers, and basil, and even managed to pull in one good-sized watermelon. Lessons of the season: plant broccoli and peas early, stagger the lettuce planting, and again, it is worth repeating: never plant that many tomatoes. Next year's hopes: peas and broccoli that we can actually eat and maybe a pumpkin or two.

We've lived in our home just long enough to know that fall and spring are the two coldest seasons inside of our house. It feels colder inside than outside. Right now it is cool enough at night (~40 degrees) that it's time to put all of our storm windows down, pull the slippers out from the back of the closet, and throw an extra layer on at night and in the morning. I love this time of year - breaking out the flannel sheets and tossing another blanket on the bed are some of my favorite chores. For Myrick, it means pulling out the zip-up footie pajamas. I swear there is nothing cuter than my blond-haired toddler running around the house in polka-dot footie pjs. Tonight, though, before we've had our chimney swept or cord wood delivered, we put an extra layer on for bedtime. The house will be warmer as soon as we get the wood stove going - which probably won't be for awhile, really. It's just one of those things I am eagerly anticipating. The picture is of Myr and I snuggling in the rocking chair for story time right before bed tonight.