Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"Life in the slow lane...?"

I was at a teacher training last week preparing for a new school year when a professional speaker said, "As a teacher, you don't have the option of easing into the day in this career field. You hit the ground running the minute the kiddos come through the door, and you don't stop until they leave" - or something to that effect. I couldn't agree more.

Today was the first day of school and already I am running. Two cups of coffee today might've been fine enough to get me through 6 class periods full of middle schoolers and then a church council meeting tonight, but I have a feeling it won't be enough tomorrow - might be a 3 cuppa' day. I always forget that it takes my body a bit of time to adjust to the physicality of teaching. I am exhausted and my brain is pooped! But this is my favorite time of the school year because the possibility of improving my teaching always feels greatest at the beginning. Sustaining it is, of course, the challenge.

Plans to make, to-do lists to write, and lunches to pack - gotta go so I can make it in bed before 11pm. Goodnight!